Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Caramel Pecan Dream Bars


I've been a food blog connoisseur for many years now, seeking out the next bold and flavorful dish to grace my tabletop. Now, with an in-progress bathroom remodel, I decided to try out food blogging as a hobby to pass the time while I'm stuck here at home.

This recipe is a family favorite of ours. As a child, these bars were only made for special occasions such as holidays or group potlucks. The smell alone while these were in the oven were enough to usher back memories of days in the kitchen with my mother. Although this is a dreadfully simple recipe, it always seems special when shared with friends. What makes this recipe so irresistible is the duplicity of tastes and textures between the base and the filling. The sweet, caramel-y, nutty filling is a delicious contrast to the soft, fluffy, buttery yellow cake base. I'm just sad that I now have to share the whole tray with my husband!

Caramel Pecan Dream Bars
Yeild: about 36 squares 
Ingredients:
For the base:
1 Package Yellow Cake mix (I recommend Pillsbury Plus)
1/3 cup Butter or Margarine (softened)
1 egg
For the filling:
1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup Heath "Bits o' Brickle" baking chips

Heat oven to 350°. Grease a 13"x9" pan.

In a large bowl combine base ingredients and mix at medium with mixer until crumbley, with a mostly uniform color and texture. Press this mixture into the pan to form a crust at the bottom.

In a small bowl, beat the milk, egg, and vanilla until blended. Stir in "Bits o' Brickle" and pecans. Pour over base. Spread the mixture thinly and evenly over the base.

Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment